Monday, August 16, 2010

FOUR

Ada turned four this weekend. Below are some of the highlights:

Pierced Ears! Ada has been obsessed with wearing earrings for about a year now. She will take my longer earrings and hook them over her ears, or she will insist on putting stickers on her ears to pretend that she had real earrings on. The whole 'when to let her get her ears pierced' conversation started about this time last year. We considered three things before going through with this.

First, Ada had to want to get it done. And not just the I want the pretty things in my ears part, but she had to know that it was going to be painful and that she was going to have to make sure her ears stayed clean. We almost did this for Christmas this past year but Ada decided she didn't want the pain (I pinched her ears to simulate the pain). After thinking about it for 8 months she finally decided she wanted to get it done.

Second, Elliot and I had to feel that she was old enough to not rip the earrings out, or wouldn't let us clean her ears. We have a great morning and night routine which Ada sticks to no matter how tired she is and we felt like the ears would be a good part of this routine.

Third, We wanted to get it done before she started playing sports. I know this may sound minor but as a former coach of girls in the prime ear piercing stage let me tell you - it is stressful for the girl and it is a pain for the coach (if they even try to help out). As long as Ada had passed items 1 & 2 before she hit sports age, we wanted to have her avoid this unnecessary stress.

Ada was a champ. There was one moment right before the earrings went in where she remembered the pain, crinkled up her face and said, this is going to hurt... but went through it anyway. She cried for a max of 30 seconds and then was BEAMING with pride. She has been a pro at letting us clean her ears and probably plays with them less than I do.

Wake Up! Ada was so excited about her birthday she went to bed at about 7 the night before (getting up briefly to help me make her cupcakes, but then heading straight back to bed). Then as I was trying to sneak out of the house at 6:30 the next morning to head to the beach to save a spot for her party she saw me (she was wide awake) and exclaimed in her most excited voice "Mom! I'm FOUR!!!" I got her out of bed and brought her to Elliot in our room where I hoped she would let him sleep a little longer. Apparently this didn't happen. She sat there scratching his nose until he opened his eyes and then doing her best impression of her parents said, "If you sit up I'll rub your shoulders for a bit." Needless to say Elliot didn't get much more sleep and they got down to the beach well before the party started.

Party! Ada has been looking forward to her party for a few months now. She stayed unwavering on the Hello Kitty theme and the idea of having it down at the beach. She also insisted on Oreo Chocolate Hello Kitty cupcakes. So that is what we had. We invited all of her little friends from school and ended up with a handful of crazy 4 year olds running around screaming and laughing. It was a blast and Ada had the time of her life. I'm not sure Elliot and I have recovered yet, but Ada is more than likely already planning her 5th birthday party. God help us.

No comments: