Sunday, April 3, 2011

a serious turn

Ada likes to get up as early as possible on weekends. 

And who doesn't really? Oh wait, mom and dad, that's who...

I digress...

Due to her early Saturday mornings, Ada has started to participate in a Saturday morning tradition older than time - Saturday morning cartoons. Only now that we have DVRs Ada doesn't get to watch whatever horrible cartoon happens to be on TV, she gets to watch whatever educational cartoon mom and dad have recorded.

So now each Saturday, the second a drop of sunlight hits her precious eye lids they fly open, she pads her way down the hallway to our room, and then one of us sleep walks down stairs to put on Word World, Dinosaur Train, or Dora and then sleep walks back up stairs to catch a few more zzzz's.

This weekend however, Elliot actually got up too because he had to get in a 21 mile training run before the heat set in. Luckily, they both let me snooze away and when I got up for good a little while later I decided to join Ada for some breakfast and cartoon watching. This week's choice was Word World and the episode was about Duck trying to perform on stage in front of all the other word animals but getting stage freight over and over again. But he kept trying, and trying, and trying until he finally managed to get out all the right words to 'Twinkle twinkle little star'.

At this point, I was getting ready to get up to really start my day when Ada turned to me with the most sincere serious voice I've ever heard come out of her little body and said "Mommy, it is very important that we never NEVER ever give up! We have to keep trying and trying and trying."

I'm pretty sure that Duck's trials and tribulations were not the first time Ada was exposed to this lesson, but I thought it was cute that she thought I might not have heard that one before and wanted to take this time to focus on this teachable moment.

Good thing, I'm not sure I would have figured that one out on my own... :) 

No comments: