Thursday, May 14, 2009

bright light in the midst of darkness

I am so thankful that Ada is oblivious to what is going on with our family this week. So thankful. Although there have been several times this week where I have wanted to just curl up with her to allow myself to soak up the comfort only a two year old can give you only to have her shrug me off with an annoyed 'Moooommmmm'.

To demonstrate exactly HOW oblivious she is to the stress of this week Ada had one of her very typical bouts of independence. This week's theme - 'I want to wear a dress to school'.

Ada has recently discovered she has a new BFF at school - Mackenzie. They have the same jelly shoes, they both like to wear their hair in pony tails, and most importantly of all - they both LOVE to wear dresses.

We recently started allowing Ada to wear dresses to school because we decided that she was capable of holding her dress up out of the toilet water when she goes potty. (I know, TMI) Ever since that first day when we let her wear a dress she has wanted to wear nothing else. Well on Tuesday she had a dentist appointment after school and she had worn dresses to school for more than 3 weeks in a row and we thought - you know what - she has all of these cute pants and shirts - we are going to convince her to not wear a dress today. With a minimal amount of tears we did manage to get her in a pink shirt with stripes and polka-dots and pink shorts (with her jelly shoes of course). Part of the convincing included Ada stating, "Mackenzie is wearing pants today" and me guiltily agreeing. Well we arrived at her classroom and Mackenzie ran over to greet her shouting at the top of her lungs, "Ada, my best friend, is here!" (Ok how cute is that) and imagine Ada's surprise when Mackenzie was wearing (gasp!) a dress. She was still in shock when I left and I was only a little worried about her ability to make it through the day.

Luckily Elliot picked her up early for her dentist appointment and before they were able to leave she boldly told him, "Daddy, tomorrow I want to wear a dress!" And then later that night as we were putting on her PJ's she told me in cold clear terms "I don't want to wear a SHIRT tomorrow" and repeated herself about 500 times for emphasis.

Needless to say - the rest of this week has been filled with pink dresses preferably with pockets.

No comments: