Wednesday, May 6, 2009

chameleon

Last night was a class night. Elliot has been working to break Ada of her habit of waiting up for me to get home from class before going to bed but last night when I walked in the front door Ada was sitting at the table finishing up dinner(!!). Apparently their night had been slowed down at every turn and Ada was happily eating chicken so we couldn't really complain. After a couple more minutes of hanging out we started our bedtime routine and Ada was actually very cooperative. She only spent 5 minutes trying to convince us that the label on the top bunk stating that she needed to be 6 years old to sleep up there was bogus and after brushing her teeth she kicked me out and had Elliot read through her cooking with Elmo book. Yes Ada reads a cookbook before bed EVERY NIGHT, sometimes twice.

Elliot eventually emerged from Ada's room but it was clear that she was not asleep yet, but at least she was quiet - for now. After about 10 minutes we heard some noises coming out of her room and I went to investigate. Ada had dumped all of her pillows on the floor and was attempting to jump around on the bottom bunk (with limited success, obviously). I was able to calm her down a bit and explain that she needed to have quiet time. She looked me in the eye and nodded so I left. And we didn't hear a peep.

As our night wound down a couple of hours later we went in to check on Ada to make sure she had a blanket on and was a safe distance from the side of the bed, only she wasn't on the bottom bunk, she wasn't on the top bunk, she wasn't under the bed, on the floor next to the bed, or under the pillow pile she had created. Just as my heart started to race and my mind started to go where parents hope their mind never has to go, I turned to run out of the room to get Elliot and that is when I saw her. She was sound asleep, laying upside down on her big chair, head on the seat, legs up over the arm. I have no idea how she ended up there, but she sure did look comfy.

Let's hope she can figure out a way to control her excitement about her new beds to a point that will allow her to actually fall asleep IN her bed tonight.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Yay for blog updates!