Thursday, July 9, 2009

bum bum

Early on in our quest to get Ada to agree to put on pull-ups, I mean big girl night time underwear, on at night we tried a variety of things to make it more fun for her. Most did not work but for some reason, one night as I held a Cinderella pull-up in my hand I decided to try to coax Ada into wearing it by talking to Ada in the voice of Cinderella. In my very best princess voice (which is for some reason heavily tinged with an English accent) I said, "Ada, may I please go on your bum bum?" A HUGE smile spread across her face and she slowly nodded and started stepping into the pull-up. I don't know if it was the thought of Cinderella talking to her, or the thought that Cinderella really really wanted to hang out on her rear, or just the fact that she thought the term 'bum bum' was just to precious to turn down. Whatever it was, it worked.


But this little success in the night time potty control war resulted in a very innocuous solution to the whole "do we give her privates a name or just go with what the books call them" debate. In general I am a fan of calling them by their proper name - takes out the mystery and the allure. And up to this point Ada has used the proper names when telling us she is having issues down there but the other day while standing in line for coffee Ada fell down while in mid-twirl and landed straight on her butt. She didn't cry or whine but when she stood up she said, "I fell on my bum bum".

Needless to say she was not amused when we started laughing but the name has stuck we are now officially a 'bum bum' family.

No comments: