Monday, October 1, 2007

communication

Ada's daycare is attempting to teach her baby sign language. We have picked up a few key signs we are using at home to try to create some consistency. One of these signs is the sign for milk. You basically open and close your hand like you are milking a cow with your thumb at the top of your hand. So for the last few weeks we have been asking Ada if she wants milk and making the sign for milk, feeling sort of like an idiot as she just stared at us like - what are you doing with your hand. Then we noticed that Ada was waving wildly at us at certain times of the day. Wow, we thought, she is really getting the hang of waving Hi to us. How cute. Then one day it dawned on me. If I turn my hand 90 degrees and make the sign for milk it looks an awful lot like waving Hi. Since we made this discovery and Ada has realized we made this discovery she has become quite adamant about her milk requests. Yesterday morning she asked for milk so I fixed a bottle, and while it was warming up I did a few things in the kitchen and Ada played away in the living room. When I walked out to the living room without a bottle of milk she turned and looked at me and did her milk sign WITH BOTH HANDS. The look on her face said. "Where is my milk? Don't even think of coming out here without any milk!" Let's hope she gets less demanding of her wait-staff as she gets older. Otherwise, I'm guessing she will eat one to many meals containing the saliva of her waitress, purposely placed between the bun and the patty.

No comments: