Tuesday, November 20, 2007

spa girl

Ada has been showing her inner spa girl lately. First, on Sunday morning as she and I were quietly playing so that Elliot could get a little extra sleep she kept grabbing my nail polish bottles. I don't think she knew what they were for but she kept grabbing them and banging them together and then handing them to me. I was out of fresh ideas for exciting play activities so I figured I'd show her how to paint her nails. Ada is normally very possessive of her fingernails, if she sees you trying to mess with her nails she will quickly pull her hand away and then try to get out of your grasp. Sunday morning, however, she was intrigued by the brush and the color and let me paint 8 of her 10 nails. She didn't even try to touch her nails and mess up the color. She did however try to paint my nails so I ended up with the odd 2 nail manicure.

Another sign of her inner spa girl is her persistent requests for back rubs. Now when she realizes that I am doing a pre-bed diaper change all by myself, she will roll over after I get the diaper on (and sometimes before), grab her favorite bottle of lotion, hand it to me, and then lean forward so that I have the best angle to rub lotion on her back. She has it down to a science. And if I take to long, she whips around to make sure I'm at least in the process of opening the bottle of lotion. Of course she only does this for me.

Her final spa girl sign needs a little back story. No pun intended.

This week I have been off of work but still taking Ada into daycare so that I could help Elliot recover from his Lasik surgery, get some stuff done around the house, and tap into my own inner spa girl. Elliot and I are going to a local day spa tomorrow for a little mental recovery and we have been talking about it for a couple of days. Apparently Ada was listening. This morning when we got ready to head to daycare she was all smiles and didn't cry one little peep of a cry on the way in. Until we got to her classroom. Then she broke down like someone had stolen her binky and put coffee in her sippy cup. There was no consoling her. I was a little deflated by this experience since she never has this sort of melt down when Elliot does the drop offs alone, but Elliot has a good theory. He figures she heard all the talk about the spa, and knew it was coming up, and that it is just silly for men to want to go to the spa for an entire day, so the only other logical explanation for me loading her up in the car all by myself was that the spa day had finally come and she was just minutes away from being scrubbed down with a Eucalyptus Lavender Sugar Scrub. And when she saw the door of the daycare rather than the gates of the spa she was crushed. Her little spa dreams dashed. Given that disappointment the only logical thing to do was to cry uncontrollably and take absolutely zero solace in the smiling faces of her classmates and teachers. NOW that melt down make total sense.

No comments: