Saturday, June 14, 2008

book worm

One of Ada's favorite books was a gift from my college friend, Nicole. It is the story of 5 silly Monkey's jumping on the bed. Ada LOVES this book, and has even memorized her first full sentence, "No monkey jump bed". So it did not surprise me the other morning when she insisted on bringing the book in the car for our drive to daycare/work. I expected that she would kick the back of my seat yelling for 'Mo MonKEYs' until I gave in, turned around and read the whole book to her.

Stop freaking out, Elliot was driving.

Imagine my shock (and pleasure) when instead of the seat kicking and the Monkey screaming she instead settled thoughtfully into her car seat, opened the book, put her hand up to her chin and started to 'read' the book quietly all to herself. She did this the ENTIRE thirty minute drive, and was so quiet and thoughtful in her reading that I half expected her to break out in full collegiate sounding sentences about the post modernist angle of the third silly monkey when we pulled to a stop. Instead she dropped the book as soon as we pulled up to my office, blew me a few kisses and then started shaking her finger as she screamed 'No monkey jump bed'.

No comments: