Monday, June 2, 2008

shades of emotion

I recently realized yet one more thing that I have passed down to Ada - my 'Angry Katie', don't mess with me, what the heck do you think you are doing look. I want to take this chance to apologize to all of Ada's future soccer opponents and referees, but this one is biological, either that or she has been really paying attention at all of those soccer games we drag her too.

Ada decided to pull this one out of her magic bag of toddler surprises this weekend. And she liked it so much she pulled it out over and over and over again. Most of the time I was addressee because I didn't quite understand that that book, the orange one, with the green eggs and ham, yes THAT ONE, must be read 20 times before getting dressed in the morning. Or because I refused to let her hang out with Daddy while he was using a circular saw, you know the kind with large jagged teeth, to cut up pallets with sharp nails that could go flying in any direction if not cut properly. Boy did she ever let me have 'the look' after that one.

But perhaps the most surprising exhibition of her new found emotion was last night at floor hockey. She had spent the past 20 minutes playing with Julie's floor hockey ball and Taylor had played with it for exactly 20 seconds so I called Ada over and told her to share the ball with Taylor. We have had a bit of a hard time recently with sharing items so I expected a struggle, but Ada was so excited to be playing with Taylor again that she handed the ball over without complaint. Only to watch Taylor rebuff her and toss the ball aside. And that is when Ada whipped out the death stare. Her expression was communication enough for her point to get across. She was saying "Do you know how much that pained me to just hand that ball over to you? I SHARED!! I have had my mom convinced for weeks now that I do not remember how to share, and I just trashed all that work. OOOHHHHHHHH, HMPH!"

And then as quick as she had turned, she started smiling again, picked up the ball and ran after her buddy Dan to get thrown up into the air again.

No comments: