Wednesday, November 19, 2008

keeping me in check

Tonight we went for a family run. Me, Elliot, and Ada in her rocket ship (jogging stroller). We were less than a mile into our run and Ada - enamored by the fact that I was running next to her - INSISTED that I run holding her hand. YES. You read that correctly. She continued her grip of death on my index finger for about half a mile until she finally let go.

I spent the next two miles thinking about how wonderful it was that Ada loved me SO much that she wanted to be that close to me while we ran. Ada must have sensed the size of my head growing because with about a mile to go, as I took over the stroller and sent Elliot on a surge and she watched Elliot run off into the darkness, Ada WAILED. And wailed and wailed and wailed all the way home. An entire mile of "Dadddyyyyy, daddddddyyyyyy, dadddyyyyyy, DAAADDDDDYYYYYY". I tried everything I could from behind the helm of the rocket ship, but nothing, not even the offer of holding her hand while we ran, could take her mind off of her feelings of abandonment.

Luckily we eventually caught up to Elliot and Ada was released from the confines of the rocket ship to so she could run with Daddy up the hill to our house.

No comments: