Thursday, February 3, 2011

quality time

I've been doing the night school act about as long as Ada can remember, and this semester, I'm even more over loaded as I'm auditing a class by Elliot's boss on Entrepreneurship, making my nights in class = 3. Ada is very aware of my nights away, and always has been. On one hand she gets to spend some super quality time with Elliot. They have a bond that is the type of bond you hope that your daughter and her father will have, one that will make them best friends for the rest of their lives. Ada also knows that my nights in class mean that there is less 'Mommy Time' available. Up to this point that has been OK by her (see the previous point about the extra 'Daddy Time') but this semester she has started to be more pro-active in finding those chunks of time and to that end we are starting to form some new quality time traditions in our house.

Ada - ever the stay in bed until mom and dad come pry open her eye lids to let in the light of the new day - has started to get up early, trot down the hallway to the master bedroom to come crawl into bed for a morning snuggle. Homework dates on the nights I don't have class so we can sit side by side doing our work. And quick moments of confidence while we are getting dressed in the morning.

They aren't long luxurious moments. We get those on weekends (sometimes) and in the months where I don't have class. But these little moments are something special, and they are ours.


No comments: