Monday, July 21, 2008

in other news

Ada's adventures with Grandpa didn't just involve Oreos, she also showed that she is starting to get ready for a life without diapers. More recently she has made a fuss when she poops in her diaper, a sure sign that she realizes what she has done and wants it OFF. She'll even refuse to put her bottom down on the changing table so she sits there with her back and feet on the pad with her pelvis raised up in an arch. Pretty funny to see in person, but TOTALLY understandable. And she has also recently started doing stuff like laying down when you ask her if she wants a diaper change, and peeing next to her potty when she has her diaper off and waiting to get in the shower, but I always thought that was just because she was cold.

But this weekend at Grandpa's she moved it up a notch. She started lying down on the ground next to her diapers when she wanted a diaper change and even stealthily tinkled in the potty (FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER). I'm so proud. And now I'll be able to tell Ada a long tale about how Grandpa potty trained her in one weekend. Sort of like the stories of trudging to school in two feet of snow, up-hill both ways. :)

However, this morning as she grabbed a diaper, and then me, and dragged both of us to her changing pad in her room, waited for me to un-clasp her diaper and then raised her legs without me having to ask her - I thought to myself, "Why now?" Why is it that now that she has finally mastered the diaper change, cooperating and even helping me out, is she getting ready to dump the diaper all together? Seems the way with kids. Once they have us lulled into a sense of security they bust through our comfort level and find all sorts of new ways to challenge us.

But now I know what to do. If I want Ada to quickly move on from a particular stage, I'm just going to send her to Grandpa's house.

No comments: